“Not all those who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien
In the city of Bloemfontein in South Africa 127 years ago, one of the greatest writers in history was born – John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, better known as J.R.R. Tolkien.
To celebrate this giant of literature and creator of infamous characters such as Frodo son of Drogo, Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf and the complex world of Middleearth, here are a few interesting facts we dug up on Mr. Tolkien.
- By the age of four, Tolkien could read and write fluently.
- Tolkien had an aptitude for languages, learning almost 20 during his lifetime, including Danish, Old Norse, Spanish and Serbian and Medieval Welsh.
Have you ever gone to the bookshop, found a great book, bought it, and then found the same one bought before, on your shelves weeks later? And we aren’t talking about different editions of say, Pride and Prejudice, that we just can’t resist buying! Wouldn’t it be great to get notifications or instantly look books and reviews up?
Here are some great apps we have found that book lovers will enjoy;
- Book Buddy – Scan the barcodes of all your books to store on the app, and never buy the same book again! While you are in the bookshop, you can search the app if you already have that book lounging on your shelves at home.
- Goodreads – It is surprising how many book lovers we know who don’t use the Goodreads app; swap reviews, rate your books and join discussion groups on this great app.
- Bookaxe – Are you obsessed with specific books and want similar options? This is a great app for book recommendations based on your style, content and genre preferences. You can also browse bookcases of likeminded people!
- Book Wall – A great way to search and find books to read, it will give you 300 titles for your chosen criteria, and it will narrow down your search as you put in more specifics to eliminate titles.
- Shakespeare Pro – We couldn’t resist this one; the app has all the Bard’s works, with a glossary, breakdowns of scenes, famous quotes and lots of Shakespeare genius.
If you find a literary app, let us know and we can share it with other book lovers!