Harry Potter illustrated by J.K. Rowling
Writing and Drawing
When authors are also illustrators, we get a unique and vivid insight into the world they have created in their minds. While reading gets our imaginations going, illustrations are the author’s nudge that guide us along the journey they have set out for us.
Here are some of our favourite authors (in no particular order) who are also illustrators whose works we enjoy as children and as adults.
- J.R.R. Tolkien – With the release of the fabulous Lord of the Rings series, Middle Earth is alive and vivid in our minds, but it is worth noting that Tolkien himself illustrated the books when they were first published. In the meantime, other authors have lent their imagination and vision to create this magical world.
- Eric Carle – Author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, his illustrations are easily recognisable and well loved.
- Beatrix Potter – Creator of the beloved fluffy Peter Rabbit, Mrs. Potter’s illustrations were beautifully detailed, bringing her elegant and charming characters to life.
- J.K. Rowling – The beloved boy with the lightning scar is forever in our hearts and in the hearts of future generations – Rowling’s imagination is generous and her illustrations took us deep into her world.
- Lauren Child – Creator of the lovable siblings Charlie and Lola, Child’s illustrations are distinct and unique.
- Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss – The author and illustrator of The Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham is still bringing laughter and joy to millions of adults and children all over the world.
If you have any favourite author/illustrators, please share them with us!